Heel and be Healed

Proverbs 10:17 (New American Standard Bible)

17He is on the path of life who heeds instruction,
But he who ignores reproof goes astray.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am intrigued by homonyms. The words "heel" and "heal" are interesting. Perhaps especially because I am a persen with a disability who has a service dog, I have had lots of experience with both of these terms.

Recently I have found that heel is a commonly used word in my vocabulary. There are instances when I am in fact referring to the back portion of my foot, however, more often lately I am saying heel as a command to my service dog Tanner. As part of his training Tanner learned that heel means he is to come and stay close to me on my left side. When we are walking he is to remain on my left side near by wheelchair without straying or wandering. When Tanner is obedient and walks as he should, strolls with him are easy and pleasant. On the other hand, if Tanner tugs on his leash willfully trying to go off in a direction different than I am intending, going from place to place can be more time consuming and troublesome.

 I think in some ways the efforts to maintain Tanner's proper "heel" position can be a picture of our relationship with God. He wants us to obediently trust and follow His commands. If we are stubborn and we stray from the path that pleases Him, our loving God will need to rein us in and spiritual progress may be slower and more arduous than necessary.

The good news is that He wants us to be close to Him.

James 4:8 (New American Standard Bible)

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you ..."

My experience with the word heal has been a bit complex. Often very well-intentioned people assume that I have a strong wish to be able-bodied and that I should earnestly petition for God to heal me. I suppose that it would be less than honest to deny that at times life could be easier without functional limitations, but I can truly say that a body without impairments is not my top priority. What I long for more is a heart free from the weaknesses and hindrances of sin and woundedness. How wonderful it will be to have a soul that has been made whole.

It is an an amazing truth that the God of the universe longs for intimacy with us. Not only does He desire for us to be near, God promises blessings of peace, restoration comfort and healing for those who though they once had been astray have turned and drawn close to Him.

Isaiah 57:18-19 (New American Standard Bible)

18"I have seen his ways, but I will heal him;
I will lead him and restore comfort to him and to his mourners,
19Creating the praise of the lips
Peace, peace to him who is far and to him who is near,"
Says the LORD, "and I will heal him."

So when we heel, so to speak, with the Lord, we can have hope that He will heal us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sweet MB - I like it. Mrs. R. I.
MaryBeth said…
Thanks for the comment, my friend Mrs.RI. Your remark "Sweet" prompted me to think of the song "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus" and inspired a new blog post. Coming soon: The Sweetness of Staying Close.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador