Door of Opportunity

Tanner my service dog assists me with many tasks. One of the thinks he does very well is close doors. As we leave the house Tanner fetches the rope dangling from the door knob, and holds it in his mouth as he pulls to close the door. When we come in, Tanner nudges the door with his nose and then jumps on his hind legs and pushes with his front paws until the door is "all the way" shut. He does that with great gusto and the rapid pace at which Tanner wags his tail, makes it obvious that he is quite pleased with himself for the accomplishnent.

It is very helpful to me that as part of Tanner's job desceiption he closes doors. What is even more meaningful is the doors he has opened for me. Tanner has been a blessing in many ways. His presence in my life has opened doors of opportunity to speak to children and adults about the benefits of service dogs for people with disabilities. We have visited a public school and did a presentation to second graders (See post entitled "Tanner the Star"). Also, we hope to visit a retirement home in the near future and talk to the residents there.
Tanner is charming, fetching and handsome which causes people to feel drawn to us and willing to engage in conversation.  Recently, while on a walk together we had a special encounter. Tanner and I met a very pleasant woman who will likely become instrumental in creating additional venues for me to be involved in activities I love such as interacting with children and  dabbling in the craft of writing. My new acquaintaince found my dog to be irresistable, so she approached and we began to talk. As it turns out she is a writer and a photographer who is sincerely interested in producing a photo essay about life with my beloved dog. In addition, this talented woman, is the mother of a little boy with special needs. She has begun to facilitate the possibility of visiting his daycare facility to teach the children about service dogs.

As I consider how Tanner excellently closes doors for me at home, and wonderfully upens doors of opportunity in the community, I am reminded of a vital door - the door of our heart. An imperative part of our spiritual journey is opening the door of our heart and inviting God to come in..

Revelation 3:20 (Amplified Bible)

20Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears and listens to and heeds My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will eat with him, and he [will eat] with Me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador