Abundance of Milk

1 Peter 2:1-3 (New American Standard Bible)

1Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, 2like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, 3if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.



Milk has a great deal of nutritional value. It is good for bones and teeth and helps children to grow. In addition to its health benefits as its richness in calcium helps to protect against osteoporosis, I also appreciate milk as a good ingredient in many recipes. I also enjoy drinking it as a flavorful soothing beverage. I like milk. It is a regular item on my grocery shopping list. This week there was a misunderstanding by my assistant concerning the amount of milk I wanted to purchase. Consequently, I now have an abundant supply of this dairy product in my refrigerator. I dislike being wasteful, so I intend to drink large amounts of milk in the coming days. If I were to ignore those extra jugs in my refrigerator, I would miss the extra nutrients and the liquid spoil, becoming good for nothing.

As I considered the large quantity of milk currently in my refrigerator, I was reminded of the numerous references to milk in the Bible. God promised to bring His people into a land flowing with milk and honey. The place where God leads those who obey Him, is rich in what is needed to give strength and also what can offer sweetness as well.

We are instructed to long for the pure sincere milk of the Word in order that we may grow. If I neglect to open that milk, pour it and drink, it will rot and my bones may become weaker. If I ignore the scriptures, my thirsty soul may wither and I will not reach spiritual maturity.

Drink deeply of the love of God. Let His precious promises saturate your heart to nurture and strengthen. Grow in grace. Be strong in faith.

Isaiah 55
1"Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters;
And you who have no money come, buy and eat
Come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without cost.

Jeremiah 32:21-23 (New American Standard Bible)
21'You brought Your people Israel out of the land of Egypt with signs and with wonders, and with a strong hand and with an outstretched arm and with great terror;
22and gave them this land, which You swore to their forefathers to give them, a land flowing with milk and honey.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's good! Milk, representing the elementary truths of God's word, is what we need when we are new believers or "infants", for as we read in 1 Peter 2:2, it helps us to grow up in our salvation. However, we should desire to move on from that infant-like state, by not being slow to learn, so that we are ready to receive the solid food of God's word. Solid food is for the mature. See 1 Corinthians 3:2 and Hebews 5:12 - kk.
MaryBeth said…
Yes, a good reminder that after we have received the initial sustenance and nurtured by the milk of God'sove for us we should continue to grow and reach for maturity/

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador