Truths Tanner Teaches: Consequence of Carelessness

This is an addition to the list of topics I had mentioned previously in the series I intend to write on Truths Tanner Teaches.

Regrettably, consistency is not one of my strengths. Diligence in discipline is essential to maintain Tanner’s training and help him to perform his best and exhibit good service dog manners. There are times when I neglect to correct him when I should. Perhaps at times I am lax due to laziness. Another explanation could be that I find it hard to be firm with my adorable dog with his pleading eyes and winsome ways.


 Despite Tanner’s darling face (Isn’t he SO cute?!) and charming mannerisms, I must insist on obedience and proper conduct. When I allow Tanner to get away with things he shouldn’t, it causes him to be confused and creates a challenge to control his impulses. This could prove particularly problematic in public situations.

If I am careless and inconsistent in managing Tanner, it is unfair to him because it may make expectations unclear. Uncertainty can make it difficult to maintain appropriate behavior. Administering a correction may be temporarily unpleasant (for both of us), but it will ultimately yield positive results.

I am reminded that we sometimes need to be disciplined. When our kind loving Heavenly Father chastises us it is for our good.

Hebrews 12:11 (New American Standard Bible)

11All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

Just as our Master disciplines us for our well-being, I must continue to train Tanner so he will be the best he can be.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can't say I enjoy discipline but the wise person receives it, knowing it's for good purposes. The book of Proverbs has much to say about this topic. As an example, "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid" (Proverbs 12:1) or The fear of the Lord is the begining of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline" (Proverbs 1:7) NIV. kk

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador