Relishing Rewards



Often when my service dog Tanner assists me with a task I reward him with a treat. As he eagerly waits for me to get the Milk Bone or other delectable morsel ready for him, Tanner literally drools with anticipation.

I must confess that at times I do wonder if Tanner performs his duties to please me or if he works because of the expectation of a reward. Perhaps both are true.

An important issue upon which to reflect is our true motivation for service. Do we perform acts of kindness or engage in good works to gain wealth or recognition, or in attempt to earn acceptance from God or fellow humans?

It pleases me when Tanner helps me to do activities of daily living, but I have grown to love him for who he is and not because he works.

God certainly promises blessings and rewards better than we can imagine for those who love and honor Him.

1 Corinthians 2:9 (New American Standard Bible)

9but just as it is written,

"THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD,

AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN,

ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM."

We should remember however that his favor is by grace alone.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (New American Standard Bible)

8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Whatever benefit may come our way, the best reward of all will be to hear those precious words spoken by our Heavenly Father “Well done, good and faithful servant, “

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador