Disability Benefits

The subject of this blog post is not Social Security income, Public Aid, rehabilitation services or any other community resources established to aid individuals with functional impairments. Nor is it my intent to address advocacy issues or the civil rights of people with disabilities. Social justice and the practical needs of those affected by disability are worthwhile topics, but my purpose here is to reflect upon what a blessing and benefit having a disability has been to me personally.

I do not deny the very real challenges life in a wheelchair can at times pose. Nor do I present some Pollyanna like perspective which ignores the difficult barriers of inaccessible architecture or unwelcoming attitudes. While legislation and increased awareness have improved the quality of life for many people with disabilities, all too often frustration and discrimination may still be experienced. Even with the difficulty, I can honestly say that I have a very good life. Furthermore, I can state with sincerity that much of what is good about my life is not in spite of my disability, but rather because of my disability.

While I was growing up, educational practices and policies of that time dictated that I attend school separated from my nondisabled peers. I philosophically oppose such segregation and suspect that I was not sufficiently challenged academically. However, that setting did offer to me the opportunity to be in an environment of diversity. I had the privilege to become friends with children from a variety of backgrounds. Some of these friendships remain even now.

When I attended college, I was allowed to live in the International House. Because of its central location on the large campus, living in this student housing site was intended to compensate for my mobility limitations enabling me to get to and from classes more easily. Staying in that residence hall was convenient, but more importantly, it provided the chance to learn about different cultures. It was during that time, because of my need for assistance in the cafeteria line, that I met someone who became a cherished friend. He was instrumental in fostering my faith and served as a catalyst for me to pursue a spiritual journey. I am grateful that we still remain friends.

As an adult I decided to obtain a master’s degree in Rehabilitation Counseling. In large part, I suspect, due to my first-hand knowledge of disability, I was awarded a scholarship to attend graduate school. On my first night of classes at the Illinois Institute of Technology, I needed to make a call (Those were the good old days before cell phones.), but was unable to locate a telephone that I could reach. I never did find an accessible telephone, but I did meet someone with a kind heart who was willing to help me make my call. Even though we never shared a common class, we continued to encounter one another and formed a lasting friendship. I cherish my ongoing relationship with her and her precious family.

My professional history has been primarily in fields related to disability services and advocacy.

Associated with a disability, there can be a variety of medical issues. I am so very thankful that I have a great team of professionals providing healthcare. I am particularly grateful for my beloved physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation. She is a skilled doctor and an excellent person who has supported me through many struggles. If I did not have a disability, I could not have been her patient.

The church family of which I am now a part also has a disability connection. The firm belief that God has extravagant love for all people is not only preached, but practiced in attitude and action.  I was drawn to become part of this body of believers because I observed commitment to serve, deep devotion and a passion for genuine worship.I met many from the local church which I now call home at a summer retreat hosted by Joni and Friends an organization which addresses the spiritual and practical needs of those affected by disability. (For further information visit: http://www.joniandfriends.org/index.php )

My point in sharing these stories is an earnest desire to convey that the presence of a disability has brought many benefits to my life. I have had experiences that I probably would not have been privileged to enjoy had I been able-bodied, My life is rich with many precious friends with whom I became acquainted often directly, or indirectly as a result of being a person with a disability. And by the way, because I have a disability, I am blessed to have Tanner, my wonderful service dog.

Joni Eareckson Tada, a great woman of faith, acknowledged that she would rather be in a wheelchair and know God, than “on her feet” without Him. Her inspiring autobiography is entitled Joni.

The great apostle Paul came to realize that God can receive glory as He bestows grace in the midst of life’s difficulties.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (New American Standard Bible)

A Thorn in the Flesh

7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself!

8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.

9And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Comments

Faith said…
I really liked this post. I linked to it on fb. You have taught me so much about living with a disability. It makes what I do SO much easier. God bless you.
MaryBeth said…
Faith,
I am very touched to know that I have taught you about living with a disability and that it makes your work easier. I am glad those precious little ones in the NICU have you caring for them and that you can have hope and expectation for a meaningful future for them.
Blessings/

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador