Blessing of a Buddy

Another Truth Tanner Teaches is that it is a blessino to have a buddy.


Tanner was provided to me by an organization called Dogs for Disabilities. http://www.dogsfordisabilities.com/ I am grateful that I connected with them at just the right time. I did not wait an extremely long period of time and I received just the right dog for me. (See my posting entitled Timing)

Canine Companions for Independence is a well established agency that also provides service dogs to individuals with physical disabilities. I like their name. It seems to fit Tanner. Yes, Tanner’s presence helps me accomplish some daily tasks more easily and I am safer because he protects me and can get the telephone in the event of an emergency. One of my favorite things about the privilege of having this precious canine in my life is companionship. He possesses many of the attributes of a good friend. I appreciate his loyalty and enjoy his company.

When I am slow in putting on Tanner’s collar, harness and cape (his super hero service dog uniform), he is usually quite patient with my clumsiness and even seems to try to position himself to accommodate my limitations. Tanner has quickly forgiven me when I have accidentally caused him pain by rolling my heavy motorized wheelchair over a paw. This amazing dog is also sensitive to emotions. As I am enjoying a good laugh Tanner eagerly wags his tail ready to join in the fun. If I am sad or hurt, he stays close and will even lick my face vigorously in an apparent attempt to wash away difficulty with those puppy kisses. In addition, it’s nice to have him around to listen as I talk.

Togetherness, communication, forgiveness and helpfulness are definitely qualities of a treasured friend. I am blessed with a great canine companion, and I also am grateful for many cherished human friendships as well. I hope they all know how much I appreciate them. (Maybe this post can serve as a prompt for us to tell those we love how much they mean to us.)

As I consider how thankful I am for my buddy Tanner and my people pals, I also think about how wonderful it is to have a relationship with the One True Forever Friend.

Proverbs 17:17 (Amplified Bible)

A friend loves at all times, and is born, as is a brother, for adversity.

Our God loves us, forgives, keeps His promises and will never abandon us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I mentioned recently to someone that God is really big on unity and community. We were wired by our loving and mighty Creator to need one another. Companionship and friendships are important. I love and value my friends and family but the most important relationship I have is with God. What comes to mind is the following scripture, "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother"(Proverbs 18:24 - NIV). Tanner looks very fetching in the photo! kk

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador