The Irritability of Insecurity

Insecurity can cause many problems. We can doubt that we are worthwhile or loveable. We can fear failure and deny our dreams and aspiration. We worry and feel weak. If we are unsure of our value and purpose we lose hope. If we don't truly know that we are deeply loved, we can even be irritable or behave badly.

Perhaps this is a paltry example, but I was reminded how important it is to be confident and secure in the truth that we are loved in interactions with my cat Bridget. She is advancing in years now. I have had her since she was a kitten. My feline friend and I have been through alot together. She is quite affectionate and definitely does not fit the stereotype attributed to cats of being aloof. Over the years I have become very fond of Bridget.

One of the concerns I had about being paired with a service dog, was that I might be required to relinquish my cat to accommodate the relationship with the new dog and his training. One day as I was fretting about this possibility as Bridget snuggled next to me on my bed, I found myself saying to her: "Please know how much I love you. I hope you won't feel rejected when Tanner comes to live with us. I will love both of you".

When I spoke those words, I realized that I needed to learn a lesson. Circumstances in life change. Relationships and roles may become different, but it does not mean we are loved any less.

Thankfully, it was not necessary to abandon Bridget because Tanner has come on the scene. However, the dog and the cat are still learning how to trust and coexist peacefully. Occassionally, if Tanner is too exhuberant in his puppy like mannerisms wanting to play, Bridget may express her annoyance by hissing. Sometimes it seems that one or the other of my adorable animals can be jealous. If I am petting Bridget or talking to her, Tanner inevitably nudges his way into the middle of things, as if to assert his belief that he must always be the center of attention. At times when it appears that Bridget has the opinion that I am focusing far too much on Tanner she has swatted at him. It might sound silly but I wish both of them could rest in the reality that though they are unique, they each hold a special place in my heart. (I hope for the day when they are so secure that I find them cuddled together. If so, and I am able to capture that precious scene in a photo, I will post it on my blog for the world to enjoy with me!)

Beth Moore a gifted Christian author and Bible teacher has written a book entitled So Long Insecurity. She also has a website that addresses this problem that plagues so many of us. If you would like resources to help deal with the issues associated with being insecure, here is a great link: http://solonginsecurity.com/

How important it is for us to be "rooted and grounded" in the love of God. (See Ephesians 3:16-19 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians%203:16-19&version=NASB  ) We may have struggles in life but God promises to stengthen, settle and establish us. We can then let go of insecurity.

1 Peter 5:10 (Amplified Bible)

10And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace [Who imparts all blessing and favor], Who has called you to His [own] eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will Himself complete and make you what you ought to be, establish and ground you securely, and strengthen, and settle you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great and important one to remember! Did I take that picture? Ha ha ha!
MaryBeth said…
Anonymous,
I don't know who you are, so I cannot answer with certainty. But I doubt that you were Bridget's photographer because I know who took the picture.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Ambassador

Tanner the Star