Dare to Dream - Dialogue Desired

Are you sometimes afraid to allow yourself to dream about what might be possible in your life? I am.
All to often I talk myself out of an idea even before I get started. I am not entirely sure what is at the root of my tendency not to move forward. Maybe it is self-doubt or the fear of failure. Perhaps it is the pride of wanting to be perfect.

Recently, I have been considering compiling a collection of things I have written into a couple of devotional books, I have also had the idea to create a series of books for children: Meet Tanner. Stories about my service dog and me could be used to teach about disability as well as introduce phonics. Titles could include: T is for Tanner, Canine Companion, Best Buddies, Fetching, Sometimes Silly, Happy Helpful Hound ... and so on through the alphabet.

I get excited about the prospect and then my enthusiasm quickly wanes with thoughts such as "I am probably being presumptuous to think someone would actually read what I've written" I'm not talented enough" It's expensive." It's too big of a project." And of course the all time famous dream squelcher - "It is unrealistic."

I believe there are a number of factors that could help us conquer inertia and negative thinking which hinders many of us from pursuing our passion or accomplishing goals.:
  • Courage - Sometimes we just need to be brave enough to take risks. One definition I heard of courage went something like this: Courage is not the absence of fear, but the willingness to move forward inspite of being afraid.
  • Commitment - We may need some perseverance and a good old stick to it mindset in order to accomplish a goal
  • Colleagues - It can be helpful to have supporters and encouragers in our journey. When we become discouraged a faithful friend could offer support and motivation. There may also be those who could offer helpful hints and practical advice.
  • Conviction - A firm belief that we are fulfilling our calling or life's purpose can inspire us and give us the determination to persevere.
One key to pursuing your heart's desire is knowing God's heart of love and kindness and discovering the good plan that he has for your life.

Jeremiah 29: 11-13 (NASB)

11'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
12'Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.
13'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

I desire to engage my readers in a dialogue. I'd accept feedback and tips about my dream. And what about you? What is your dream? What obstacles are you facing? What help do you need? How can we pray for you?
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could encourage one another to enter the destinies that God has designed for us?!
So please post your thoughts and ideas in the comments and let's communicate. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Comments

Nancy said…
DON'T LET SATAN ROB YOU OF YOUR DREAMS. YOU KNOW THAT IS WHAT HE WANTS TO DO.
SEEK GOD'S FACE UNTILL YOU HEAR FROM HIM CLEARLY AS TO WHAT WAY HE WANTS YOU TO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH TANNER. THEN DO NOT QUESTION GOD. TRUST AND OBEY AND IT WILL ALL HAPPEN IN GOD'S TIMMING, AND ALL WILL BE PERFECT. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!
Anonymous said…
In an old, but favorite movie, Chariots of Fire, Eric Liddell says, "If you don't run, you can't win." Mary Beth - I would love to see you pursue your dreams and see your dreams come true as you press on!!
MaryBeth said…
Thank you for the encouragement Nancy and anonymous friend.
I need to listen and heed God's voice and then "press on" as He leads.
I think I'd like to watch Chariots of Fire again sometime soon.
MaryBeth said…
I watched Chariots of Fire this evening. A man of principle is victorious!
Eric Liddel said God made me for a purpose. May we know that and pursue it wholeheartedly.
I've always remembered when his opponent gave to Eric that scripture verse"...He who honors Me, I will honor" What A great promise to live by!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador