Delicious and Nutritious

Psalm 119:103 (King James Version)

103How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

When I eat something delicious I enjoy savoring the tasty flavor and hope that soon I can partake of that food again.

In a book entitled No One Cares What You Had for Lunch - 100 Ideas for Your Blog. the author Margaret Mason seeks to motivate bloggers to post meaningful entries and not bore their readers with such mundane details as their midday menu. Please bear with me as I go against her sage advice and describe to you what I ate for lunch today.
One of the many good things about the late spring and summer seasons is corn on the cob. I noticed from  advertisements that corn on the cob was featured as being on sale so I decided to put it on my grocery shopping list. When my assistant returned from the store, she informed me that samples of corn were being offered at the store and she had tasted it. She reported to me that it was excellent. Since such a glowing recommendation was made, I decided I wanted to indulge my tastebuds right away. At the risk of sounding as if I am a spokesperson for corn farmers of America, I proclaim that the ear of corn I ate was absolutely fantastic! It was so scrumptuous that I gobbled away clearing every kernel off of that cob.

As I reflected on my desire to not miss a single morsel from that ear of corn, it occurred to me that I should approach my study of God'sWord with such determination and dilligence. The Bible contains timeless truth and previous promises with the power to transform us. The scriptures are of far greater value and can offer more significant sustenance than natural food. Regrettably, though, we often lack the appetite we need to search the Word desperate to find every crumb of truth that we can take in to strengthen us.

Last night I was in a Bible study with some women from my church. I received  very timely and inspiring instruction. The admonition that was given to make it a priority to read  the Word of God was a needed one. It was explained that this living book brings conviction, correction and transformation. We must pay attention to what God"s Word says, and sincerely incline our hearts to understand it. Then we are to also keep it before us and allow it to go deep and change us.

Proverbs 4:20-21 (New American Standard Bible)

20My son, give attention to my words;
Incline your ear to my sayings.
21Do not let them depart from your sight;
Keep them in the midst of your heart.

Practical suggestions were given about how to get the most out of personal Bible study.Strategies mentioned included:
  • designating an uninterrupted time period each day for reading God's Word,
  • pondering smaller portions of the scriptures at a time in order to derive its meaning, and
  •  using post-it notes to keep meaningful passages displayed where we can be reminded of them regularly.

Despite warnings against telling blog readers what I had for lunch, I shared with you what I had eaten because my experience with the delicious corn, reminded me of the sweetness of God's Word. It's power and authority to strengthen is wonderful. My lunch today reminded me of an exceedingly valuable lesson. While food can bring pleasure and energy, God's Word is spiritually nutritious and delicious.

If you have insights to share or if you want to let others know how God might be speaking to you, please feel free to post comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador