Maintaining

Neglecting to maintain things in proper condition can cause things to become unmanageable. Routine maintenance is very important.

I've been thinking about this cocept a great deal recently because of the horrible mess that was in my own back yard. Since I am not able to operate a lawn mower myself, it is necessary for me to rely on others to cut my grass. I have a very kind next door neighbor who regularly mows my front lawn when he is caring for his own. The back yard however is a completely different story. In previous years, a team of willing teenagers from my church would take turns cutting my lawn. This season I was aware that the availability of volunteers is significantly more limited. With the scarcity of manpower, as well as personal financial restrictions, I procrastinated in my attempts to find a solution for my unsightly grass growth. I didn't know what to do, so I did nothing - except fret over the horrible condition of my yard. It was so bad that soon it would have been a suitable habitat for wild animals. In fact, one friend insisted that though he did not have time to do a complete mowing job, he must at least try to "tame the jungle". That was a great improvement, but alas, rain and warm weather quickly returned it to its' unkempt status.

A young man whom I know from church who is also a neighbor finally found time in his busy schedule to tackle the project of clearing my back yard. It was a huge job and I commend him for his labor. I am very grateful for all that he did. When I went out there after all of his hard work, I was amazed and pleased about how much better it looked. As I surveyed the neatly mowed lawn, I thought how nice it would be if it could stay in this well manacured condition. I also realized that it will be necessary to regularly care for the  lawn to prevent it from once again becoming terribly untidy.

It is foolish to ignore something and not think a major problem will arise. What is true in the natural realm is also true in the spiritual. I have been hearing teachings at church recently about the importance of keeping and cherishing every word that comes from God. We are not to ignore His instruction, or neglect any promise He has given. It is an enlightening and encouraging exercise to study the numerous times the words keep, kept or dilligent are used in the scripture.

We need to be dilligent,

2 Timothy 2:15 (New American Standard Bible)

15Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

There are many precious promises for those who are keeping God's Word.
Psalm 103:17-19 (New American Standard Bible)

17But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him,
And His righteousness to children's children,
18To those who keep His covenant
And remember His precepts to do them.
19The LORD has established His throne in the heavens,
And His sovereignty rules over all.

What a comfort it is that we can trust that He is able to keep us for Himself,

Psalm 17:8

Keep me as the apple of the eye; Hide me in the shadow of Your wings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador