Don't Break Your Dreams by Putting on the Brake

In a previous post I had stated that I would do a series of posts dealing with homonyms. Today as I thought about how I have taken a break from writing about those interesting words that have distinct meanings though they sound exactly the same, another set of homonyms came to mind - break and brake.

I believe it is possible for our hearts to be broken and our dreams deterred if we allow doubt, fear or insecurity to cause us to put on the brake so to speak and stop pursuing the destiny God has planned for our lives.

Since childhood I've enjoyed education. I was fond of many of my teachers. I even dreamed of becoming a teacher someday. I had high hopes of imparting knowledge and the love of learning to students in my very own classroom. However, I encountered detours on my journey toward this goal. Significant adults in my life had the opinion that I had an unrealistic career plan. The reason for the negative attitude was based primarily on my disability. Some, particularly the principal of my high school, clearly expressed the view that I was not expected to succeed. Though I attended college and majored in special education, I soon allowed the harsh appraisal of others and the challenges of the teacher preparation requirements to fill my heart with hopelessness. In despair, I withdrew from the course work and abandoned my pursuit of teaching/ It seemed as though disillusionment had caused my heart to break and that my dream had come to a screeching halt as if someone had slammed on a terrible brake jolting me into bewilderment.

I did not always understand and the road was sometimes bumpy, but I am grateful for the grace of God and His ever present protection.

Psalm 20:4 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible

Psalm 20:4 (New King James Version)

 May He grant you according to your heart’s desire,
And fulfill all your purpose.

My career path was different than my original intent, but it was filled with many rewarding experiences. I had the privilege to work with children and adults with disabilities to assist them to pursue their aspirations. It was an interesting irony that I even taught sessions about independent living skills at the very same high school where I was told that I could never be a teacher.

After I stopped working full time, I had the joy of serving as a homeschool tutor to children in kindergarten and first grade.

Now that Tanner, my beloved canine companion, is with me I've had the opportunity to tell children about service dogs.

I am hopeful that there is still more adventure ahead of me. I don't know all of the destiny that God will unfold for me but I can be confident that His kindness will be for my good.

Jeremiah 29:11 (New American Standard Bible)

For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.

We must trust God to heal our heart break and not allow opinions or circumtances put the brake on God's good plan. What a comfort it is that our loving heavenly Father knows the longings of our heart and He has created us for a purpose

Comments

Anonymous said…
How amazing that God chose you to encourage children with disabilities to pursue their dreams when you experienced just the opposite. Your own pain was not wasted, who better could speak into the lives of these little ones? I am in awe of Him.


Barbara
MaryBeth said…
Thanks Barbara,
I too am in awe of His lovingkindness toward me.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador