Do it Today

Today I made a choice that made me start thinking about not postponing things that could be done now, or at least begun.

Do you have some things (or talents) you are reluctant to use? Do you own items that you save, waiting for the right time to take them out of storage? I do. For example, I have bath towels that I keep on an upper shelf for guests to use. These towels are not as faded as my towels I use for myself regularly, and they are more plush and absorbent. This morning I found one of these fancier towels on the shelf I can reach (where the "every day" towels are kept), and decided to use it. I was pleased by how it was so soft and cozy. I had the thought that perhaps I should use these "company" towels more often. I wondered why I had kept them in an inaccessible storage space to be used only for those who I would prefer not to see my well-worn bath linens. I enjoy the nice towels. Perhaps it's okay to use them. Why not today?
Please do not misunderstand. I believe hospitality is important. And it's proper to serve others with quality. My impulse to enjoy the nicer towel today and not save it for another more special event was about living in the present.

Stephen Curtis Chapman has a great song entitled Miracle of the Moment. Here's a link to a brief video with that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rResKXjKqjQ

I have the tendency to put things off. I'm often inclined to have the attitude: "Some day I'll _____________. How about you? Are there things you could do today that you have delayed? I've compiled a list of things to consider:

  • Let someone know how much they mean to you
  • Say your sorry
  • perform an act of kindness
  • memorize a Bible passage
  • take a walk
  • start to learn a new language
  • begin to exercise
  • play an instrument
  • write a blog :)
  • ______________ (your goal)

After I allowed myself to use the towel that had been kept for someday, I realized I did not want to miss opportunities today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador