Truth

Truth is essential. I had an episode this morning that reminded me afresh how distressing it can be to not be certain.
I was engaged in a personal care routine and I dropped a gauze pad that was soaked in a medicinal solution which protects my skin. Tanner gladly retrieves things for me so he promptly attempted to fetch the item that had fallen. Not wanting my beloved dog to become sick from the chemicals moistening that pad if he put it in his mouth, I firmly told him No! (He must have been bewildered since picking up things is part of his job.) I wasn’t sure if he had obeyed. In fact, I even wondered if he might have swallowed that pad because I couldn’t see it. I was concerned because it was potentially dangerous. Therefore, it was quite a relief when I found the missing gauze on the bathroom floor. When I saw it I thanked God. I was grateful that no harm had come to Tanner. I was also glad to be relieved from the anxiety of not knowing the reality of the whereabouts of the gauze pad.

When we don’t know what is true, our hearts can be troubled. Believing what is false can have serious consequences.
Truth is liberating. Jesus told us that the Truth would set us free. Truth can also bring healing to our hearts. When our thoughts are focused on wrong things we can be prone to distress and depression. The apostle Paul instructs us not to be anxious, but to pray about everything. He goes on to teach us what should occupy our minds. A top priority for our thoughts is “…whatsoever is true …” (Philippians 4:6-8)
When we are admonished to equip ourselves for battle putting on the full armor of God, the belt of truth is mentioned first. Truth protects our vulnerable emotions. (Ephesians 6:10-17)

There is a great song entitled Irish Day. There is a line in the final chorus that comforts me:
“Here I kneel upon this ground; Love can heal when truth is found…”
The link below is to a YouTube video in case you’d like to listen to this Celtic tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S68NKorqcFI

Knowing the truth that Tanner had not eaten something potentially harmful, released me from worry. Knowing the truth that God is good and that He loves me brings peace and hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador