Overhaul

Often it seems that things get worse before they get better. If you’ve ever done any remodeling you probably know what I mean. When I purchased my house it needed major modifications to improve accessibility for my safety and independence. The renovations included building a ramp with a deck (which involved creating a door where only a window had been originally), widening some doorways, lowering counters and cabinets and installing a roll-in shower (which required that a wall be moved in order to make the bathroom larger). It was a huge project. Thankfully, I had a skillful contractor with a vision for what was possible, and determination to get the job done. He and his small team of dedicated laborers did a tremendous amount of work in a short period of time. These changes were necessary before I could live in my home. I was eager to be able to enter my house, so the ramp was completed in the early phase of construction. My heart soared with excitement when I received the news that the ramp was completed and I could enter my property without help. I wanted to see the progress on the repairs and anticipate moving in. I happily came up the brand new ramp which was built at just the right slope. Great expectations were in my heart. As I came through the entrance that had just been created I was stunned by what I saw. The place had the appearance of a disaster zone. I don’t think it could have looked worse if a tornado had blown through or if a bomb had exploded. Saw dust was everywhere, the carpet, cupboards, appliances and all of the bathroom fixtures were removed. I’m pleased to report the crew put my house back in excellent condition. In order to fix my residence so it would be suitable to my needs, the workers had to take things apart before they could be rebuilt.

Have you ever felt as though you were being undone? I have had the experience of feeling as though I was being taken apart piece by piece. My life was filled with good things, but I had many wrong thought patterns and struggles. One New Year’s Eve during a church service, longing for direction for my life, I heard the still small voice of God clearly speak to my soul. His message to me: “I am going to overhaul your mind.” The dictionary defines overhaul as “…dismantle for the purpose of repair”. When circumstances were difficult and my emotions crumbling, it seemed as though I was indeed being dismantled. The good news is God is able to put us back together. He can make us whole. Often we have strongholds in our minds that need to be torn down. We may have believed lies that have kept us defeated. Our minds need to be renewed, as our lives are transformed. This is a process God has begun and continues for me.

There are many tools that God can use to overhaul our minds, and our hearts. Companions on life’s journey can be helpful in our restoration. Precious promises from the Bible can be powerful and effective for our transformation. I believe the Bible is God’s Word and therefore the source of truth. Many who have a relationship with God and have gleaned wisdom from His Word have written books that are helpful. I’ll mention a couple books that have been useful to me. Get Out of That Pit by Beth Moore and Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Myers.

In the midst of our “extreme makeover”, we can be assured that “He Who began a good work in you is able to complete it…” (Philippians !:6)

Comments

Faith said…
Wow! I'm so glad you started this blog Marybeth. I had no idea you are such a good writer or that you had so much to say. Way to go!! :)
Rita said…
Ditto on Faith's comments!
In your overhaul story, I love that your house was put together better and more functional than at first- same for us when the Lord completes His work!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador