Present

Sometimes we need someone to be truly present with us. It is indeed a gift to have people in our life who are caring and attentive.

This morning I was feeling a bit under the weather so I stayed in bed longer than usual. Despite the fact that Tanner’s needs had been met because a kind friend came over early to let him outside and feed him, my very sociable service dog didn’t seem to like the idea that I was resting and not interacting with him. Tanner repeatedly nudged me and tapped me with his paw. He seemed discontent until I got up and could focus more on him. It was not sufficient that we were in the same room because I was not alert.

This incident caused me to consider that occupying the same space is inadequate for someone to feel connected. In addition, as I thought about what it means to be genuinely present, I realized that present is another one of those words with more than one meaning. (I mention the obvious because in previous posts I had discussed homonyms.)

According to Webster’s Online Dictionary there are multiple definitions of the word present. Here are some of those listed:

The period of time that is happening now; any continuous stretch of time including the moment of speech; "that is enough for the present"; "he lives in the present with no thought of tomorrow".

Something presented as a gift; "his tie was a present from his wife

A verb tense that expresses actions or states at the time of speaking

Favorably attentive; propitious.

I also thought of a saying that a former boss would frequently quote:

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. ~Babatunde Olatunji

I found some other interesting quotes about the value of the present. Following are a few I’ve chosen to share with you:

Having spent the better part of my life trying either to relive the past or experience the future before it arrives, I have come to believe that in between these two extremes is peace. ~Author Unknown

Rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee. ~Montaigne


Trust no future, howe'er pleasant!
Let the dead past bury its dead!
Act, - act in the living Present!
Heart within and God o'erhead.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Psalm of Life

There is a wonderful song by Steven Curtis Chapman entitled Miracle of the Moment. Click the link below to listen to the music and the lyrics with a meaningful message: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ1UB2E1_ZU&feature=watch_response

Once again Tanner taught truth. The here and now is precious. Also, those we love need us to be attentive and truly present.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Marybeth
Just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog. I appreciate your openness about your struggles and sharing God's heart when He gently corrects your thinking.
My habit is to read email in the morning and your blog is like a 21st century devotional. Keep up the good work, I need very frequent inspiration.

BD
MaryBeth said…
BD,
Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate your kind words. It means a great deal to me that you are reading and enjoying my posts.
Blessings to you!
grey-blue cat said…
thank you, MaryBeth
MaryBeth said…
Charlie,
You probably recognized that I referred to you and the quote you would frequently share during our PCIL days.
I have many fond memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador