Look Up!

Hebrews 12:1-2 (King James Version)
1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;

If we are looking in the wrong direction, we could miss out on things coming our way.

A friend stopped by for another purpose this afternoon, but Tanner and I caught him just in time to engage him in a quick fun game of Frisbee toss. Tanner has a great durable and flexible disc with which he plays quite enthusiastically – especially with a buddy who has the strength and agility to throw that toy much higher and further than I can. As my friend threw the round red saucer it soared high and flew deep into the yard. Tanner was so excited. Each time he took off running frantically. Since he was not paying attention to the path of his toy, he repeatedly either sped ahead of the landing of that disc, or allowed it to fly by him as he distractedly headed in the wrong direction. The visitor wanted my energetic fun loving dog to experience the success of catching that Frisbee, so he called to Tanner urging him to lift his gaze. My friend would say again and again: “Look up, Tanner. Look up!”

As I observed this encounter and heard the instruction to Tanner, it occurred to me that “Look up!” is a great exhortation for my life as well. If I am focused only on the circumstances surrounding me, or if I am preoccupied with my own thoughts or anxieties, I will likely miss the adventure or the purposes God has for me.

I need to be paying attention to the way God may be moving to arrange things so my life’s paths will take the direction He desires. As I watch and listen carefully, I need to position myself in order to “catch” what He wants to give.

It was a good reminder for me today to be “Looking up” because “Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith”.

We can take our eyes off of our present temporary difficulties because they are light in comparison to the eternal blessings we have yet to see.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18 (New American Standard Bible)
17For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison,
18while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Comments

Nancy said…
Good Morning MaryBeth, Tanner, and Bridget, Did Tanner ever catch the frisbee? Good Story! I can picture you all outside playing
MaryBeth said…
Hi Nancy,
Thanks again for being a regular reader and a faithful friend.
No, Tanner did not get the hang of catching that frisbee. But he would pick it up and return it so it could be thrown again and again. He LOVES to play!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador