The Comfort in Being Confident that God Cares

1 Peter 5:7 (New American Standard Bible)
7casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.

Did you ever wish you could take away the pain and heartache of someone you love? I know that feeling.

I have a dear friend who has been struggling with serious health issues for quite some time. In addition to her life long disability whivh limits her mobility, she has had difficulty breathing and often experiences overwhelming fatigue. Then about a year and a half ago, my friend had a bad fall. She sustained serious inuries. If all this wasn't bad enough this woman has had terrible hassles with durable medical equipment vendors. Their incompetence has meant that she has lacked needed adaptive devices. This has resulted in her being confined to bed for many many months. Amazingly, through these challenges, my friend has been a stellar example of faith and trust.

I have the privilege of speaking with my friend frequently. Last night in our conversation, she told me about the most recent difficulty with the wheelchair provider. After describing this frustrating conflict, she expressed her determination not to allow them to get her down or succomb to the stress. Then there was a long pause. Following an uncharacteristic hesitation, my typically cheerful friend, with palpable sorrow confided in me that her adult son was going through some deep trouble which has adversely impacted his health and shaken his emotional stability.

I didn't have much to say, but as I listened I hoped that my friend would continue to find comfort in the confidence that God does indeed care. I fear that whatever I said may have sounded just too glib. Despite her sadness there was not a hint of accusation against the character or integrity of God.

I must confess that as I was getting into bed late last night, in the darkness and the quiet of that hour, I found myself wondering  - God how much more can that precious one take? Immediately, I heard His Holy Spirit whisper to my heart : "She belongs to Me and I never give Mine more than they can bear." I then remembered the promise in the Scriptures:

1 Corinthians 10:13 (King James Version)
13There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Often there are great difficulties in life and we may wonder about our direction. Even though the path may be rough, God can take us where we need to be.Though circumstances may seem unfavorable, God has the power and wisdom to work all things together for our good. (Romans 8:28)

Comments

MB... Are you making a book of your blog posts? I can see the hand of God at work in your writings. I'm certain your words would provide courage, strength and hope to others in the journey we call life. You bless me abundantly over and over with your faith and perserverence!!!
God bless you my friend...
Claudia
Ditto to Claudis's comments! :)
Nancy said…
Thank You MaryBeth for you Love,Concern, Prayers, and words of encouragement. Is there anyway you can send this to my e-mail the juno acount so I can forward to some one?
Have A Blessed day
Anonymous said…
Mary Beth, what a well-expressed tribute to Nancy and the God she loves. She is an encouragement and blessing to me. May you be encouraged and blessed, too, my friend. Susan Ostrum

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador