Delightful Destiny

As is likely evident from the very large photo on my blog page, I have a service dog. His name is Tanner. Not only is Tanner gorgeous, he has a wonderful temperament – quite affectionate and playful. He also seems delighted to do his job. He fetches everything I drop with great enthusiasm as his tail wags vigorously. He also seems to put his all into turning on and off light switches. When Tanner closes a door, he does so with such gusto that nearby walls and windows seem to rattle. And, (dare I admit it) Tanner even eagerly takes off my socks for me. I should also mention how grateful I am that Tanner has faithfully retrieved the telephone for me in times of emergency. To be sure, Tanner does love to play, but he also seems quite happy to do his work. It’s almost as if he is pleased to be doing that for which he was created.
I think it’s true for humans too. God has a good plan and purpose for each of us. He knows us best because He designed us. In His wisdom, our kind Heavenly Father understands what will bring joy to us and He has equipped us perfectly for the destiny He has planned.
Identifying our gifts and talents and locating the place to utilize them for God’s glory is one of life’s great and noble quests. Max Lucado in his book Cure for the Common Life refers to this as “finding your sweet spot”. (By the way, I found the book at a local public library. It is also available through my friend’s online bookstore: http://theupperroomstore.deepershopping.com/index.php?module=viewitem&item=81337 )

So... Tanner has taught me valuable lessons – Serving brings joy. And we can find comfort in knowing that we were created for a purpose, one that as we honor God in it, we can find contentment in that place. Our very own “sweet spot”.

Comments

MaryBeth said…
I realized that readers may be interested in knowing that Tanner was provided to me by Dogs for Disabilities, Inc. http://www.dogsfordisabilities.com/
Anonymous said…
Mary Beth,
This is wonderful. Thanks for letting us peek into a little of your life with Tanner. That he takes your socks off is so neat! God bless you.
Chris Fabry

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador