Getting "unstuck"

Have you ever been stuck? It's a terrible feeling, Knowing there's somewhere to go, dreams to pursue, goals to achieve, but not being able to get out of a rut, or move forward.

I have felt this horrible paralyzing sense of inertia for quite some time. Creating this blog is my attempt at getting myself beyond this seeming impass that has hindered me from taking risks or finding a sense of purpose. I have long felt the urge to write - sharing with others thoughts and insights I've had that have enriched my perspective on life and the heart of God. I've even had the somewhat grandiose notion of being an author of a book entitled "Stuck on the Threshold and Other Meaningful Metaphors" (A collection of life lessons I'm still learning)
The origin of the title... Once while still working, I saw one of the agency staff interns who had difficulty walking, try to navigate around seated on an office rolling chair. I observed him trying to leave a room and move on to his next responsibilities, but the caster wheels on the chair in which he was seated, couldn't navigate the threshold. As I watched him struggle to get over the bump so he could leave the room, I was struck with the idea that sometimes we're so close to our destiny but we need to "get over" those issues that seem to keep us "stuck".
What keeps us from being able to move on to the next phase, responsibility, or calling in life may seem small but prove to be an almost insurmountable obstacle. A threshold is a rather small barrier separating one space from another, but for that former coworker, it was a significant hindrance to his progress that afternoon. But he did not stay trapped in the room where the meeting had taken place.
I have identified a few key things that helped that young man overcome the hindrance of the threshold and move on. These factors may have significance for those of us who seem to be incapacitated by some obstacles that are limiting our progress.
First there needed to be an awareness of where he wanted to be, as well as a sense of determiniation and commitment to get there because he had a responsibility to fulfill. What might be a first step in the process of getting unstuck is a hope and a sense of purpose fueled by faith and dedication.
Then those little wheels needed to be alligned just right as he moved straight ahead toward his destination. For us to reach our destinies, we need to know what is the hope of our calling, trusting that God has a good plan for our lives. Then we focus and direct our steps as He leads.
'Finally, my coworker needed a little boost, added ooph from a push by a colleague to make it over the hump and move on. We need companions on our life journey. Encouragers who will support us and ,when needed, give us a push to motivate us to keep going and to pursue love and good works.
Well, I've done it. I've taken the first steps to getting over my own threshold which could have several labels such as fear. lack of confidence, insecurity, and procrastination.
You may have your own threshold. Whatever obstacle you may be facing, remember that when thresholds are crossed, we enter new places.

Comments

Faith said…
Hi Marybeth,
Congratulations on your blog! That is so cool!
Faith
Nancy said…
Enjoy Reading You Blog

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador