Memories and Hope

Today is the anniversary of my mother’s birth. Sadly though there will be no party, and no birthday cake with lots of candles. I didn’t send a greeting card. My mom is no longer with us. She died many years ago following a difficult battle with cancer. It has been almost three decades since her death, but I still miss her. She was a bright, witty and competent woman who made a significant impact on my life. She was my caregiver, provider and protector. At times she served as my advocate.
I have many fond memories. My love for words and strategy, likely stems from the countless hours I spent watching my mom and grandmother play Scrabble. It was quite a rite of passage for me when I achieved sufficient vocabulary to join them in the game. I also vividly recall the precious Christmas in my childhood when she made it possible for me to receive my very first puppy. I think I may have been the happiest kid on the planet the day that dog came into my life. Then, when my dog died it was my mom who told me the bad news. During another time of sorrow, the death of a special high school friend, it was mom who supported me in my grief. The things I remember about why I loved her and how valuable she was to me are far too numerous to recount here.
As I am thinking about my mother today, I am aware of how much I miss her. However, I am also mindful of a wonderful truth that brings great hope. Jesus made a promise that He would be with us always. We can be confident that He will never leave us or forsake us. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=hebrews%2013:5-6&version=NASB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador