An Undeserved Free Gift

God is very kind. He has an amazing way of demonstrating love and mercy.

I received a lovely gift recently. A very dear friend found a couch and rescued it from being discarded. She retrieved this piece of furniture with me in mind. She knew I desperately needed a new couch. The sofa that had been in my living room for many years was a hand me down and had definitely seen better days. The passage of time, many visitors and also a couple of pets had left my old couch worn and sagging. I had often looked at it recentlywith the thought that I reallly needed to replace it. However, because I currently have limited finances, I did not know how that could be possible. So you can probably imagine my awe and amazement when I received the message from my friend letting me know that she had a couch to give to me if I wanted it.

I'm not sure why the previous owner was getting rid of that couch. It is in very good condition. It looks nice, and, I am told, is quite comfortable. It is a lovely addition to my home. I am grateful for the thoughtfulness of my friend and for the efforts she and her family made to give the couch to me.After picking it up it was cleaned and freshened. Then it was delivered to my house. All of this at no cost to me.

Not only did I not pay for this "new" sofa, it was given at a time when I was acutely aware that I did not deserve to be blessed. I was given the gift following my less than noble response to inconvenient circumstances. (I wrote about that "episode" in a post entitled The Truth Will Set You Free) In spite of the fact that I had done nothing to earn it, I received kindness and my need was met. Astounding! Amazing! Yes, amazing grace.

I'd also like to mention that this treasured friend labored happily to prepare the gift for me. She seemed delighted as she showed the couch to me and described how she spruced it up so it would be presented at its' best. Her generous heart found joy in giving.

The graciousness of my dear friend reminds me of the heart of God. He is kind to us even though we are unworthy.

Romans 5:8 (New American Standard Bible)
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.


Ephesians 2:8 (Amplified Bible)
For it is by free grace (God's unmerited favor) that you are saved ([a]delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ's salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God;

The classic hymn Amazing Grace conveys this truth of God's unmerited favor. Click this link to view a video of a lovely version of the hymn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYF1urOFtv8&feature=related

Here is a link to a video of a contemporary rendition of this beloved song by Chris Tomlin : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeqdnb5I4w&feature=related

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador