Balance Grace and Truth

If we put all of our emphasis on only one one thing our lives can be out of balance. We can lack stability and experience many ups and downs.

When I was a child I was once (and thankfully only once) put on a teeter totter. I don't know if the person responsible for me at the time thought I might enjoy the opportunity to "participate" with other children, or if they embarked on an experiment to see what I could do. It was a terrifying experience. Since I have very poor trunk stability (it's difficult to keep myself upright), I was holding on for dear life. Also because I lack stength in my legs, I was completely at the mercy of the kid on the other end. The energy and zeal on one side of this playground equipment was not matched with comparable ability As the see-saw was propelled up and down by only one rider, it felt completely out of control. I was so grateful when someone observed my predicament and rescued me.

I recently heard a preacher on the radio present an excellent message about the need for balance in the Christian life. If we solely focus on the fact that we are sinners and deserve to be judged, we can become disheartened and, in despair, withdraw from our relationship with God. On the other hand, if we focus only on blessing and prosperity, completely ignoring God's conviction regarding our need to change, we will not grow and develop as true disciples. God's love involves both mercy and correction.

Jesus is described in the Gospel of John as having the attributes of both grace and truth.
John 1:14 (Amplified Bible)
14And the Word (Christ) became flesh (human, incarnate) and tabernacled (fixed His tent of flesh, lived awhile) among us; and we [actually] saw His glory (His honor, His majesty), such glory as an only begotten son receives from his father, full of grace (favor, loving-kindness) and truth.

We don't need to allow ourselves to be tossed up and down facing the horrors of our sin, or trying to prove we are acceptable. Yes, it is true that God is holy commanding righteousness, but we attain that by grace through faith because He also delights to show mercy.

I trust that we can have peace as we no longer grip tightly to our own efforts in fear but instead enjoy the balance and security that grace and truth brings to us.

Hebrews 4:14-16 (Amplified Bible)
14Inasmuch then as we have a great High Priest Who has [already] ascended and passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession [of faith in Him].
15For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning.
16Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it].

Comments

michelle renee said…
Hi Mary Beth! I was very touched by this post...having balance in our lives is so important. And not letting our life situations cause us to withdraw from Him. Cool :)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador