The Perils of Forgetfulness

The tendency to forget things can cause problems. These lapses in memory most often create relatively minor inconveniences. However, failure to remember something important potentially results in significant difficulty and can even be downright dangerous.

Forgetfulness led to a challenging episode in my life recently. I have a designated telephone which Tanner has been trained to retrieve. This task performed by my beloved service dog is crucial in the event of an emergency. In a scatterbrained moment I had forgotten to replace that phone on the base. I fell trying to get out of the shower. In desperation I told Tanner to get the phone. He ran for it but to my dismay returned without it. I repeated the command several times with the same result. I was frustrated and then realized the telephone was not where Tanner could get it. Poor Tanner… He started whimpering because he wanted to help but was confused. It took me over an hour to get myself "unstuck" and maneuver so I could reach and get my cell phone from my wheelchair pocket. I called my young friend who had been very patiently waiting because we had plans to have dinner together before attending a meeting at church. This dear young woman came quickly and did what she could to make me more comfortable. We needed more help to get me up. Other friends were not around so the paramedics were called. The paramedics were quite nice and lifted me from my bathroom floor rather smoothly. The good thing is I did not sustain any injuries except some aches and pains - probably from being in an awkward position.

Safety is one good reason to remember important details. It is also helpful to recall facts useful for work and school. Friends and loved ones appreciate it when we remember birthdays and anniversaries. In addition, having a proper memory has implications in our relationship with God. There are numerous instances in the scriptures where we are instructed to “not forget”.

The vital things we are urged not to forget include:

• We came from bondage and God has mercy on us Deuteronomy 9:7

• We must obey His commands Deuteronomy 8:11

• He grants many benefits Psalm 103:2

• He gives promises Psalm 119:16

I will need to be more careful to remember to put the telephone in its proper place so that my activities of daily living will be safer. Even more importantly, it is essential to remember and obey God’s commandments. I must not forget God’s mercy, His benefits or His promises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador