Beyond Comparison

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (Amplified Bible)

16Therefore we do not become discouraged (utterly spiritless, exhausted, and wearied out through fear). Though our outer man is [progressively] decaying and wasting away, yet our inner self is being [progressively] renewed day after day.
17For our light, momentary affliction (this slight distress of the passing hour) is ever more and more abundantly preparing and producing and achieving for us an everlasting weight of glory [beyond all measure, excessively surpassing all comparisons and all calculations, a vast and transcendent glory and blessedness never to cease!],
18Since we consider and look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen; for the things that are visible are temporal (brief and fleeting), but the things that are invisible are deathless and everlasting.

Often when we compare our situation to the circumstances of others we can gain a new perspective. Our struggles might seem minor in contrast to the difficulties some must endure.

In a previous post I told the account of a recent fall and how I waited for help to arrive. I also shared that I learned the importance of not forgetting practical details as well as the value of remembering God's true principles. That incident taught me another valuable lesson. As I was lying on my bathroom floor unable to get up, I did battle a bit of frustration and anxiety but I reminded myself that before long a friend would wonder why I had not contacted her as planned, and would come to my house and discover my dilemma. I was in fact eventually able to make a phone call and I received assistance rather quickly. While waiting, when I started to fret about the uncertainty of when help would come, I thought of the many survivors of natural disasters such as the earthquake in Haiti who were trapped for many hours and even days before being rescued. In light of their horrible ordeal, my problem didn't seem so bad, I could find the grace to wait and be hopeful.

The apostle Paul wrote to the church in Corinth about our "momentary light affliction...: " At times in the midst of a trial it can seem very long and wearisome, I remember that I once heard Joni Eareckson Tada, whom I consider an excellent example, expound on this verse. God is not mocking us by minimizing our pain or trivializing our tribulation she explained. He is not cruel. The hurt we feel is very real and the trials can be intense and the burdens heavy. However, in comparison to the blessing and glory prepared for us, the affliction is light. When we balance our temporary suffering with the eternal weight of glory, the blessing surpasses calculation.


When we see the challenges of others, our circumstances may not seem so bad. As we consider the wonderful things God has prepared for us that blessing is beyond comparison.

Through every situation in life God is faithful. Here is a link to a YouTube video of one of my favorite songs What A Faithful God Have I. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEgyKpzyUw&feature=related  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador