Confident to Comfort

2 Corinthians 1:2-5 (New American Standard Bible)
2Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4whocomforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ.

The things we experience in life can teach valuable lessons. Our endurance of circumstances can equip us to offer encouragement and support to others.

A very dear friend of mine had surgery today. I am praying that she has a very speedy and excellent recovery.

Recently my friend and I were discussing the procedure. A few years ago I had a similar operation. I told my friend that following the initial adjustment period, I had no regrets and the surgery proved to be beneficial. Also, I shared with her some details of my recuperation and the firm instruction I was given to be cautious and carefully limit my energy expenditure. In our discussion I urged my friend to get adequate rest and not be worried about tasks that are left undone. We mused that perhaps she should even practice saying “It’s not my concern” so she can resist the temptation to perform household chores or other activities that could be physically taxing. As the conversation was drawing to a close, my friend remarked: “Thanks for the pep talk”.

I hope my words could in some small way inspire her to not be anxious. It would also be nice if what I shared with my friend motivated her to take special care of herself. I want her to heal well and have the best possible outcome.

As I reflected on how my friend expressed gratitude for encouraging her, I was reminded how we are exhorted to comfort one another with the same comfort which we have received from God. In difficulties and afflictions we often find the comfort and mercy of God. We can then with authenticity offer support and assurance to others that God will be faithful for them too.

I am praying for my friend’s healing and that she will rest in God’s loving care.

It is my desire to truly remember God’s comfort in my life and be able to genuinely and confidently share it with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador