Safety Belt

Safety belts are important. They can be life saving.

Often when a passenger on a paratransit bus or in a friend's van, I nonchalantly neglect to use a safety belt. I presume that my wheelchair anchored by straps is sufficient precaution. This is incorrect. It is dangerous for me and others to not wear a seat belt in a moving vehicle.

In a previous post, I told of a tragic accident in which my nephew was involved. He was a passemger in a car that careened into a deadly crash. Sadly, the young driver was ejected and died. In an instant of youthful impulse, my nephew's teenage friend drove off without buckling up. My nephew did the wise thing. He was compliant with existing laws and clicked his seat belt into place. Thankfully he sustained no injuries in that horrible collision.

I have vowed now to always wear a safety belt.

I am reminded of another belt which offers protection - the belt of truth. The apostle Paul elaborates on the armor of God which serves as a metaphor for what Christians need in our battle against evil. In an excellent teaching presented by my beloved late pastor and his associate on chapter 6 of the letter to the Ephesians the first component of the arnor described is the belt of truth. It is explained that this piece of the warriors apparel has the purpose of protecting the most vulnerable part of human beings - our emotions. If we are deceived about ourselves. or if we believe lies about God, our emotions can be wounded and our relationships could be broken. When we are aware of our need for a Savior, and at the same time trust in the truth that God deeply loves us we feel secure and enjoy stability. The belt of truth keeps us safe.

I am grateful for God's care. I will not only consistently wear a seat belt in order to stay safe while travelling, I will seek the grace to put on the belt of truth to protect my emotions in this journey of life.

Psalm 91:14 (New American Standard Bible)

Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador