Answers to Prayer

Psalm 27:6-8 (New American Standard Bible)

6And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me,
And I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.
7Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice,
And be gracious to me and answer me.
8When You said, "Seek My face," my heart said to You,
"Your face, O LORD, I shall seek."

Sometimes it seems to us that God does not answer our prayers. The key phrase in that statement is seems to us. In our human frailty we often  lack the capacity to discern the wise ways of our all-knowing Heavenly Father.

Someone with whom I am acquainted is among the many in this difficult economy who has lost her job. This dear woman has been unemployed for many months. During this time period, she has taken steps of faith and has been a good example of trusting God. She even started a blog Staying in Hope  http://stayinginhope.blogspot.com/  which is devoted to offering "encouragement in these difficult times". I'm sure that during this lengthy period of no interviews and no job offers there must have been times when it also seemed that there were no answers to prayer.

Today I heard an encouraging radio program that addressed this all too common feeling that God is distant, univolved or uncaring. The announcement that the topic for that broadcast would address "The Myth of Unanswered Prayer" caught my attention. I knew I needed to listen. The discussion focused on the story Jesus told about the widow's persistence with the unjust judge. (Luke 18:1-8 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2018:1-8&version=NASB ) The lesson in this passage of scripture is perseverence in prayer to a trustworthy God. The guest on the radio summarized that God always answers prayer. We do not always recognize the answer. Our perspective may be distorted because the response may not be what we were hoping for. The manner in which God replies to our requests, may fall into four catecories: Yes, No, Wait or There is a better plan or higher purpose.

I was reminded of a story I read many years ago that had a significant impact on me. It was the biography of Amy Carmichael a missionary to India. In the beginning of the book, the author described an incident that took place early in life that did much to shape Amy Carmichael's view of God. As a little girl Amy prayed earnestly that her brown eyes would be changed to blue. Her childlike faith genuinely believed that God can do anything and would grant her heart's desire. Therefore, after making her petition, she eagerly went to the mirror expecting to see blue eyes. Instead she was dismayed to see that her eyes were still brown . In her bewilderment, she expressed her disappointment that God did not answer her prayer. As she blinked away the tears in the eyes that were unchanged in hue, she clearly heard God speak to her this valuable truth: "No is an answer too." Later in her life as God unfolded her destiny serving in India, she realized that her complexion and dark eyes were positive attributes that helped her to assimilate and be accepted in that culture.

As we pray, it is imperative that we persist. It is also vital that we remember the wisdom and integrity of our loving God.

If you would like to listen to the program that was an encouragement to me, here is a link to the website where you may find the audio archive for the program entitled Come Along Part 4 from Moody Radio's Midday Connection: http://www.moodyradio.org/middayconnection.aspx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador