Writer's Block -A Lesson of Prevention and Protection

 I haven't posted on my blog in a while. I've been involved in a number of activities. My church had a retreat in which I participated. I've also been doing some research into the process of publishing as I consider whether to put my writing into print. However busyness is not the main barrier to my blogging. I suspect I may have experienced a case of writer's block. I've been having difficulty identifying topics to share and trouble finding words to communicate. The root cause of my problem with a lack of productivity is uncertain. It could be a touch of anxiety or a bit of lethargy or some combination thereof.
As I pondered the reasons for my writing woes, I considered the concept of a "block". The word can refer to something that prevents an action, or it can be a protection from harm. A road block can definitely impede the flow of traffic, but it can also keep an area safe because it might be necessary for repair, or for security in order to apprehend a fugitive. In football there are hefty players whose primary purpose is to block opponents to protect their runner teammate from being tackled so that he may cross the goal line to score points.

My bout with writer's block might also serve as a protection or preventative measure. Since the ideas are not flowing freely, I am forced to realize anew that I must depend on the grace of God. It is futile to rely on my own feeble strength. As I am prevented from trusting solely on my own faulty resources, I can be protected from the perils of pride.

Psalm 19:13-14 (New American Standard Bible)
13Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins;
Let them not rule over me;
Then I will be blameless,
And I shall be acquitted of great transgression.
14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.

The apostle Paul knew first-hand that limitation ("A Thorn in the Flesh") can have a purpose. Weakness can compel us to find God's all sufficient grace.

2 Corinthians 12:7-9 (New American Standard Bible)
7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself!
8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.
9And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador