Drink from the WELL

Isaiah 40:8 (New American Standard Bible) 8The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever.

Scorching heat and a lack of rain can make things parched and brittle.

We have been having sweltering hot temperatures and not much rain in the area where I live. I’ve been spending most of my time lately in the comfort of my air conditioned home. While it is nice to avoid the discomfort of the heat and humidity, I do at times grow weary of staying indoors. Tanner my service dog also seems to be a bit bored from our limited activity. I do try to at least take him for a short walk when the weather is bearable. Recently, on one of our strolls, I noticed how dry and withered the lawns in my neighborhood were becoming. I realized how important it is that living things have water regularly for continued growth. Early in the month, my area had received quite a bit of rain. Despite the showers in previous weeks, the flowers seem to be wilting and the grass is losing its’ lush green color. The water from the past rain has long since dried up and fresh showers are needed.

I believe the same can be true of our souls. We need to be continually refreshed and renewed so that our hearts do not become shriveled and lifeless. The hot trials of life can make us weak and indeed thirsty.

God promises to grant to us needed refreshment.

Isaiah 44:3 (New American Standard Bible)
3'For I will pour out water on the thirsty land
And streams on the dry ground;
I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring
And My blessing on your descendants;

In an encounter with one thirsty soul at a well, Jesus made an amazing pronouncement. He Himself is the source of life-giving eternal satisfaction.

John 4:14 (New American Standard Bible)
14but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."

In his book Come Thirsty, (http://theupperroomstore.deepershopping.com/index.php?module=viewitem&item=30304author) Max Lucado uses the acronym WELL to remind us that God wants to quench our thirst.

“You don’t have to live with a dehydrated heart. God invites you to treat your thirsty soul as you would treat your physical thirst. Just visit the WELL and drink deeply.”


“Receive Christ’s work on the cross,

               The energy of His Spirit,

                         His lordship over your life,

                                  And His unending, unfailing love."

The song Fill My Cup Lord has been on my heart as I have considered how our hearts can feel dry and thirsty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4l2yY2r95g

May you find the refreshment of being drenched in His loving presence.

Comments

Claudia said…
Amen and Amen sister MaryBeth!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador