Self-control

Self-control is often not easy, but it is always worthwhile – beneficial and pleasing to God.

I have another Tanner story – a pet parable. My service dog has been a fine example of restraining his impulses recently. When Tanner does his work, I typically reward him with a treat. A few times this week, when he deserved tangible recognition for a job well done, the baggie filled with his cookies as we call them was not within my reach. Since I was not able to get that bag filled with puppy goodies, I asked Tanner to fetch it for me. I was quite impressed that Tanner did what I requested. He dutifully picked up the baggie and, rather than ripping open the plastic and gobbling up every morsel, he carefully brought it to me. I was very proud of him. I praised him lavishly (and even gave to him an extra cookie) so he would know how pleased I was with his behavior. I must confess, I cannot completely comprehend canine cognition, but it did make me smile as I pondered my dog’s willingness to comply and not give in to the desire to eat all of those treats at once. I wondered whether his willingness to obey could have been because he trusted that I would in fact not withhold his reward.

I don’t always exercise the best self restraint. Sadly, at times I make poor choices of habit and attitude. God desires that we have self control. It’s for our own good and it brings Him glory. We can resist the temptation to strive and grasp to get everything for ourselves because God is trustworthy and promises a great reward.

So I hope to trust in my merciful God and learn from Tanner’s example of self-control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador