Sensitivity

The inability to feel can have serious consequences.

Yesterday I heard about a young man with a disability who has many severe pressure sores. His damaged spinal cord since birth caused paralysis as well as a lack of sensation below his waist. Since he is unable to sense the discomfort of staying in the same position for long periods of time, this young man was less inclined to make necessary movements to relieve the pressure on his body. Skin breakdown occurs from staying in the same position for too long. Without proper treatment and care such pressure sores may result in significant medical complications. Due to the fact that this young man did not sense pain or take necessary precautions to protect himself, he developed additional problems that required attention.

Sensitivity can help alert us to potential danger. We always want to be alert to how God may be guiding us. It is also important to have a heart that is tender toward our Heavenly Father’s correction. A hard heart can cause us to miss out on blessings God wants to give. Callousness and insensitivity may even lead us into the dangers of sin.

Just as the young man with the pressure sores needs to undergo a process to heal his flesh wounds, those with broken hearts and damaged souls need to be made whole. We need to recognize our need, humble ourselves in genuine repentance and put our faith in the love,forgiveness and acceptance of a gracious God.

Psalm 51:7-12 (New American Standard Bible)

7Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
9Hide Your face from my sins
And blot out all my iniquities.
10Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.

Sensitivity to things going wrong in our body can protect us from harm. Sensitivity to the Holy Spirit can guard our heart and direct our life.

1 Thessalonians 5:19-20 (Amplified Bible)
19Do not quench (suppress or subdue) the [Holy] Spirit;
20Do not spurn the gifts and utterances of the prophets [do not depreciate prophetic revelations nor despise inspired instruction or exhortation or warning].

Comments

Nancy said…
Thanks, MB.
We need to be sensitive to one another, as well, don't we?

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador