Purpose and Priorities

Happy New Year!
In the early days of a new year it is common for people to reflect on their lives and endeavor to make positive changes. Many make resolutions to improve health, adjust attitudes, deepen relationships or enhance careers.

Some of us have a bit of difficulty setting goals. We may wonder... "What am I supposed to be doing with my life!?" This struggle must be a relatively frequent dilemma because Barbara Sher wrote a book entitled I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was.

Discovering our destinies and pursuing our purpose in life can be a challenging process but a journey of inestimable value. I am grateful that God promises to give needed guidance.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (Amplified Bible)

5Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.
6In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.

Psalm 20:4 (New American Standard Bible)

4May He grant you your heart's desire
And fulfill all your [a]counsel!
Footnotes:a.Psalm 20:4 Or purpose

If any of you are willing to engage in dialogue, it would be interesting to know about your goals and hopes for this year. Perhaps we can pray for one another and offer support. I long to get clarity concerning God's plan for my life. I need to be diligent to be engaged in activities that are meaningful and bring God glory.
On a practical basis, I'd like to explore the possibility of publishing a devotional and also work on books for children featuring my beloved service dog Tanner. Any advice for this aspiring author? In addition, to spending time writing, I have also thought that perhaps I could resume involvement in the disability arena possibly by volunteering with Joni and Friends or serving as a mentor or advocate. Increasing my knowledge of Spanish could also be a worthwhile endeavor.

The date 1/11/11 caused me to ponder what should be number one? An example of what the Bible says about priorities can be found in Jesus' words:
Matthew 6:33-34 (New American Standard Bible)

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

May God bless you at the beginning of 2011. As we are setting our goals, our priorities must be those actions and attitudes which honor God.

Comments

Anonymous said…
thanks MB
Nancy said…
Thanks MaryBeth,
My verse for 2011 is...."Look to the Lord and his strength, seek His face always." Psalm 105:4
My desire this year, is to go deeper and higher in Him. I am excited to see what He has in store for me this year. I know that it is nothing but what is best for me. He has NEVER FAILED ME YET. Praise His Name!
Riverboat said…
MaryBeth,
I like what you said about being engaged in activities that are meaningful and bring God glory. Keep the blogs coming in the new year.
They are good.

I hope to be more "out of the way" so others can receive whatever He wants to give through my life.
MaryBeth said…
Thank you so much for your comments and encouragement. I appreciate the sharing of insights and hopes for this year.
Jeremiah 29:11-13 is a precious meaningful Bible passage for us to cling to.
"...For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the LORD,

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador