Don't Be Careless

"Haste makes waste" is a well-known saying attributed to the statesman and inventor Ben Franklin. We probably all have heard stories about a driver who took a "short cut" that took them on a round about journey which caused the trip to be long and difficult before arriving at their intended destination.

I had an instance this week that reminded me of the potential consequences of carelessness.

Many in the church I attend are involved in the production of an excellent theatrical play with a profound message. I have a small role as an "extra" in a medical scene. I also am trying to help with research and making phone calls. One of my duties is to remind cast members of their scheduled practices. Yesterday, I was trying to be "efficient' in my efforts to notify people of their designated rehearsal sessions, so I decided to rely on my memory rather that shuffling through the pages of the list of phone numbers, schedule, and cast roster. Regrettably though my ability to recall all the needed details was faulty. I contacted one woman with a key role in the drama to tell her of a practice of a particular scene. The problem was that  I had confused her with another character and she is not featured in that specific scene. Thankfully, she is an astute and alert team member so she knew that she was not required to participate in that rehearsal. If she had not been aware of the practices for her character, I would have caused her to needlessly waste time and energy. My attempts at acting hurriedly could have caused quite a hassle.

My error in recall,confusing who played which role, prompted me to reflect upon the importance of being careful and dilligent. Not only can it be crucial for practical issues and events to run smoothly, being careful and conscientious is also vital in spiritual .matters.

We are warned and exhorted numerous times in the scriptures to be careful.

Jesus admonishes His followers to be watchful so as not to be misled:

Mark 13:5 (Amplified Bible)
And Jesus began to tell them, Be careful and watchful that no one misleads you

We must  carefully listen in order to not lose any spiritual blessings

Luke 8:18 (Amplified Bible)
Be careful therefore how you listen. For to him who has [spiritual knowledge] will more be given; and from him who does not have [spiritual knowledge], even what he thinks and [a]guesses and [b]supposes that he has will be taken away.

We must carefully build on a firm foundation.

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.

Now I intend to be more careful with details, especially for the sake of my friends. I also am reminded that it is essential that I exercise wisdom for a  careful walk with God.

Ephesians 5:15 (New American Standard Bible)
Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador