Purpose

It has been quite awhile since I've posted to my blog. I've been battling lethargy. This lack of energy and motivation has hindered me from being productive. Some days recently I have found myself wondering if I accomplished anything worthwhile. Laziness and being solely focused on my own interests, needs or lack can certainly be a hindrance to pursuing anything of value.
I am thinking today of two distinct principles. Both seem to be true.

First,I am pondering the potential peril of missed opportunities. Procrastination or neglect may cause us to overlook the the needs of others and bypass instances when we could be a blessing. All to often I may feel prompted to act - to speak a word of encouragement, offer a helpful gesture or grant a financial gift - but I hesitate, and in the cloud of doubt and weakness the moment slips away. I want to have a renewed determination to engage in meamingful activities to benefit others and bring glory to God.

Secondly, while it is worthwhile and noble to pursue good deeds, such work is not sufficient. Faith is essential. (Read James 2 and Ephesians 2) As I was considering my longing for a sense of purpose I found this amazing scripture:

Philippians 3:10 (Amplified Bible)
10[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]

I am reflecting on the value of serving others to give life meaning. I am also mindful that ee must trust in the work our Savior did for us and our ultimate "search for significance" is satisfied in a deep relatiionship with God.

Comments

Faith said…
Hi Marybeth,

I was just thinking about you today. I was wondering how things were going with you because you hadn't written in a while.
How is your new wheel chair?
Faith
MaryBeth said…
My new wheelchair already had a malfunction and it was taken back to the dealer so a part (still under warranty of course) could be orfered from the manufacturer.
Perhaps the subject of an upcoming blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador