Who Am I?


It is interesting to do a self- assessment. It isn’t always easy to make an honest appraisal of who we are.

I have a very dear friend who was given the assignment for a teaching course to describe herself using 8 nouns. I am honored that she shared her articulate and insightful personal evaluation with me. She also expressed interest in what my response would be.

 Since she said she would love to know my list, I took her up on the challenge and labored to compile a list of my own.
Here are my self-descriptive nouns:

Friend - While I wish I could be a better friend (more considerate, more generous etc), I consider the title of friend a true honor. Despite my shortcomings my strengths as a friend are that I love and care deeply and I am fiercely loyal.

Communicator - I love to talk. I need to be a better listener but I enjoy that too. I love to tell stories and thrive on hearing a good tale too. Connection with people I love is vital for me. I use all types of methods available. Text, email, Facebook and the telephone. My idea of a pleasant time is being with a friend having a meaningful conversation. I also like to find engaging ways to communicate important lessons or concepts to children and adults. Topics of interest include: God's extravagant love, disability awareness, service dogs, learning to read.

Resource finder - There may be some librarian qualities or detective tendencies in my soul. I like investigating and finding helpful resources.

Wheelchair user - I am not wheelchair bound nor am I confined to a wheelchair as though it is a restriction or punitive sentence. Rather my wheelchair enables me to have freedom of movement, liberating me to enjoy life. Much that is good about my life is not in spite of using a wheelchair, but because I do. It has often been the "vehicle' which was instrumental in initiating valued relationships.

Hope - This is my word for the year. I desperately need to cling to hope and I would count it a privilege to bring hope to others.

Learner -I enjoy learning new things. Typically though not merely for the sake of filling my brain with facts and information. I especially like to learn when there is a particular purpose. For example I started to learn sign language because I met a deaf friend at summer camp. I wanted to learn to knit to make gifts that help keep people warm. I enrolled in a graduate program in rehabilitation counseling so I'd be better equipped to assist people reach their goals of independent living and employment. I want to upgrade my writing skills in order to improve my blog so I might encourage others. I endured the Beyond Suffering course because i hoped to gain a better understanding of God's heart toward those with disabilities and how the church can effectively serve. I want to learn Spanish so that I am able to converse and share a message of God's love and peace.

Pet lover - I am blessed to have a loveable Labrador and a sweet elderly cat. My pets (and truthfully most animals) bring me great delight.

Overcomer - Not that I am courageous or have conquered obstacles or adversity.  But I am one who has come over and over to find grace and mercy in time of need. I am grateful that God has protected and provided and upheld me even when I've been unable. 

This exercise was interesting and a bit daunting for me. I would like to encourage you to try this. Choose 8 nouns to describe yourself and if you’d like include a brief explanation as to why. It would be fun and inspiring if you would please share your list, and also great if you would give feedback on the self-descriptions of friends. (You may use the comments section.) Thanks for the participation.

I am reminded that I have struggled to answer the question “Who am I?”. This song by Casting Crowns has the most important awesome answer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU_rTX23V7Q

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Triumphant Tuesday