Joni and Friends: The Impact of Extravagant Love


The extravagant love of God through the ministry of Joni and Friends has made a big impact on my life.

Following are a few examples of how I have been blessed by the impact of extravagant love.

One summer I arrived early for a Joni and Friends Family Retreat. These events are a splendid time of recreation and inspiration in a supportive and accessible setting. I watched dedicated volunteers diligently decorate and set up the facilities for the upcoming programs. I was particularly impressed with the elaborate preparation for the children/s area. Exquisite costumes and beautiful scenery far exceeded the bath robes and cardboard back drops I had seen used in Sunday School Christmas pageants or Vacation Bible School settings. When I told a staff member how I was touched by all of the labor that was going into a quality production for the kids, whom most would consider rather unimportant, she without hesitation replied “God’s love is extravagant, and that is what we want to communicate!” What a joy to see precious truth in action.

Another instance of blessing occurred while recuperating from surgery, I was visited by a cheerful Joni and Friends volunteer. Her kind heart and gentle manner made it easy to engage in pleasant conversation. In addition to words of encouragement, she gave the gift of a “Special Delivery” package containing inspirational books and music. There were multiple copies of some of the items, so I was able to share with fellow patients.

Years later … It was a cold dreary February day. I was feeling acutely aware of my singleness. I had just mentioned to a friend that Valentine’s Day is not my favorite holiday. Then a mysterious package arrived at my door from the Joni and Friends main office. At first I was worried that there was a volunteer project I had agreed to do but had forgotten about. I opened the package to find lots and lots of Valentine’s Day cards for me! I had been nominated secretly and chosen as a recipient in the “Heart for the Disabled” project. Many years later I still recall, the joyful bewilderment as I read card after card. People I didn’t even know took the time to send messages of kindness. Such extravagant love!

Joni and Friends honors the dignity and value of all people by demonstrating extravagant love. Not because it is merely a legal obligation. It is done joyfully fulfilling the scriptural mandate of the Gospel (Luke chapter 14) where Jesus welcomes everyone into His house.

I am so glad that this extravagant love included me!

Joni Eareckson Tada is a woman who has profoundly influenced the world. The fact that she became quadriplegic in a diving accident at 17 has not prevented her from serving others. She shares a life changing inspiring message of hope. This talented woman is an artist, author speaker, and advocate for people with disabilities. Joni founded Joni and Friends International Disability Center with the mission of accelerating Christian ministry among those affected by disability. Through education of leaders, policy development, and practical service, they endeavor to foster faith, and make churches more welcoming while enhancing the quality of life of people with disabilities around the globe. For additional information visit: http://www.joniandfriends.org/

Comments

Nancy said…
Thank you for sharing this, MB. It blessed my heart.
Rachel Lundy said…
Hello! It is nice to "meet" you! I found your blog through the Joni and Friends 35th Anniversary pinterest board.

Thanks so much for sharing about how Joni and Friends has impacted you. I'm so glad that they have blessed you and showed you extravagant love!

Blessings and joy,
Rachel
Genevieve said…
Joni and Friends is such a blessing for so many people. It's wonderful to hear how it's impacted you personally, MaryBeth!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador