Fear’s Folly - A Lesson I Learned From Phoebe Fair

Phoebe Fair was a tiny girl whose brief life made an enormous and powerful impact. She taught me a priceless lesson:

Faith conquers fear.

Phoebe inspired me to courage and caused me to realize that we can often misjudge based on size. This small child faced a giant foe and demonstrated strength.

 
At 2 years old, Phoebe was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive brain cancer. In spite of this those who loved this precious child remained hopeful. Phoebe herself was a shining example of joy and determination.

 
Her parents did not waste time on silly things that did not matter. This fine couple served as missionaries. They were also engaged in a fierce fight for their daughter’s life. As her sweet life slipped away grief could not be easily assuaged. They needed something extraordinary. They received their “A-typical Miracle” (which is the title of the blog about Phoebe’s life http://atypicalmiracle.com/) in the comfort of knowing she touched many in her short, well-lived life. The Facebook page dedicated to Phoebe received almost 98,000 likes and the blog had approximately 1800 followers.

So now to the lesson I learned. If she could, at such a tender age, face cancer and not cower, I too should be able to be strong.

 The night before I was due to undergo a medical procedure myself, I couldn’t sleep due to anxiety.  I decided to peruse Facebook.  I found this post from Phoebe’s mom recounting a conversation which took place only weeks before Phoebe went to heaven. Amazing words of wisdom from a little girl who was barely four years old.

 

Phoebe: "God loves us. God loves us and God is not a meanie."
Me: "That's right Phoebe, God loves us very much."
Phoebe: "And I am not afraid, say it Mom, say "I am not afraid."
Me, teary-eyed: "I am not afraid."

Not only did these words grab my attention, they gave me a resolve to be brave.


 

 

 

Comments

Jeanie Smith said…
We all have trials. We wouldn't be here on earth if we didn't have more to learn! Phoebe's courage is a good lesson for me too.
MaryBeth said…
Thanks Jeannie,
How nice of you to take the time to comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador