For What Do You Hope? How Do You Live?

Today this is the entry on my HOPE calendar:
January 8
The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live within that hope.
Barbara Kingsolver

That certainly is a profound statement. What matters in life is to identify what it is that we hope for and to order our lives accordingly. For many of us, it isn't easy to identufu what we hope for. Perhaps because of disappointments, we find it difficult to dare to dream. We wonder what the future might hold and whether what we long for could actually come to pass. It might be even more difficult to live in such a way as to honor our hope. However, it is vital that we remember that we have a good and kind Heavenly Father who intends only for our welfare.

Twila Paris' song Sing Me A Lullaby conveys the soothing message that we can rest in God's care.
Lyrics to Sing Me A Lullaby:
All I see is that I don't see what's ahead of me ,
I'm afraid my life will never be all I hope for in the end.
All I know is that I don't know where the road will go,
If I dream, then will I find it so – will tomorrow be my friend?
Sing me a lullaby, sing me to sleep tonight.
Sing me a tender lullaby cause all my heart can do is cry.
Help me compose my soul, quietly take control –
sing me a lullaby and tell me I'm your child.

All my plans are falling through, and I don't understand –
yes, I know, my world is in your hand, but won't you tell me once again?
Sing me a lullaby, sing me to sleep tonight.
Sing me a tender lullaby, cause all my heart can do is cry.
Help me compose my soul, quietly take control –
sing me a lullaby and tell me I'm your child.'
Lyrics www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/twila_paris/
Here is a link to click to listen to this lovely song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubd5MHndX-M

Early in a new year it is common for people to contemplate their goals  We typically endeavor to develop a strategy to help these dreams to come true. I recently listened to an interestung presentation on the topic of resolutions. The speaker offerred tips on the process of gial setting. She said goals should be "SMART" in order to be effective:

S - Specific
       M - Measurable
      A – Achievable
      R – Realistic
      T – Time imited
I was struck by several statements made in the seminar to help motivate participants to pursue their goals.

"People who take action get results". As I consider that, I realize that I must seek God's guidance and then act upon upon the direction He gives. I do need to pray and believe that He will provide, but I must also position myself to receive. I must prepare for God to accomplish His purposes in my life. James when addressing the issue of faith and works in his letter to the early Christians put it this way:
 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
18 But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” 19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? 22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS,” and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
James 2:14-26

Additional valuable principles that I was reminded of recently relevant to accomplishing goals included the need for a detailed strategic plan, and the importance of accountability. It is essential to have a road map as we move toward our desirred outcome. It is also helpful to journey with others who will support us along the way. In light of this, the speaker made comments I thought to be key: "Promises are NOT made to be broken!" "Promises are stronger than goals." If we make a commitment we should keep it.

So at the beginning of this new year - We can trust that God has a good purpose for us. Seek His will, determine the needed steps, and take action.

 Pray Plan Promise Pursue Persist



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador