Blessings in a Blizzard

We have been in the midst of quite severe winter weather - frigid temperatures, blustery winds and enormous amounts of snowfall. The blizzard of 2011 dumped in excess of 20 inches of snow on the Chicago area. This was combined with fierce winds resulted in huge snow drifts. Moving about has been virtually impossible.

Despite this meteorlogical mess, or perhaps because of it, I have experienced many blessings. God used my dear friends as He often does, to meet my needs in the midst of inclement weather related challenges.

After it had snowed heavily for most of the previous day, and throughout the night, I got up the other day to discover a literal snow barricade at my  back door. Since the snow was higher than Tanner is tall, it was impossible for him to get outside. He was probably quite uncomfortable with a full bladder, and we were both more than a little distressed by the predicament. I called a dear friend who often provides assistance to me and asked if she could make it over to my house from accross the street to take Tanner out the front door which is not accessible to me due to a couple of stairs. Thankfully, she was willing and able to come over and take my beloved canine companion outside. Tanner and I were both "relieved".

Shortly after Tanner and I benefited from the act of kindness that made it possible for him to get outside, I observed through the window while inside the comfort of my cozy kitchen, another friend shoveling dilligentltly. His work made it possible for pedestrians to navigate on my property. Not only did this hard working friend clear a path for people, he also dug out an area in the yard, so Tanner could have a place to safely "go" .
(Thiis is my house. As you can see, it took a lot of hard work to make that path!)

The following day, I once again received amazing help. The streets had been plowed by village trucks and massive mounds of snow were dumped at my driveway making approach to my house impossible. A young man equipped with a snow blower labored long and hard. He moved the piles completely away so anyone could reach my home with ease.

In addition to these amazing deeds of helpfulness for which I am very grateful, I also want to share another act of kindness that touched my heart. A friend sent with her son, who by the way also shoveled my pavement as the snow was beginning to fall, a care package for being "snowed in" .It consisted of DVDs to watch and CDs for my listening pleasure and encouragement, as well as some yummy soothing hot chocolate. My friend's thoughtful TLC also included an adorable card containing a heartwarming message. On the card was printed this Bible verse:

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;

his love endures forever. (Psalm 107:1 NIV)

I do give thanks to God for His goodness to me. May God abundantly bless all of my friends who enrich my life greatly.

The hymn Great is Thy Faithfulness comes to mind. Here is a link so you can be encourged and uplifted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpRCClg8pEY

It's been my joy to share with you how acts of kindness caused me to experience the "warmth of winter".

Anyone else have stories to share?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador