Timing

Psalm 31:14-15 (New American Standard Bible)

14But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD,

I say, "You are my God."

15My times are in Your hand;



2 Samuel 22:31 (King James Version)

31As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.

Most of us have probably heard the expression; “Timing is everything”.

I’d been thinking recently how grateful I am for God’s timing in my life. I hate to admit it, but the truth is I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator – especially when the task to be accomplished seems large or challenging.

I am reminded of God’s good plan for our lives and His perfect timing, almost every instance when I see my beautiful, smart and lovable service dog Tanner. The prospect of acquiring a canine companion was raised several years ago. Once following a fall at home, a woman on the pastoral staff urged me to get a dog. After that conversation, I did some investigation. My research revealed that typically the application process is extensive and the waiting period is long. One would expect that a lengthy waiting list should have motivated me to quickly start on the required paperwork. Instead, I felt it was daunting, and put off pursuing obtaining a service dog for myself. Though I neglected to take steps toward getting a dog for many months and even years, the idea was never far from my mind and would often occupy my thoughts. The benefits of having a dog even came up in conversations with friends rather frequently. Then I had major surgery which necessitated an inpatient physical rehabilitation treatment program. While in the hospital, I mentioned to one of the therapists that I was wondering about getting a service dog. She told me about the newer organization Dogs for Disabilities, Inc.http://www.dogsfordisabilities.com/ When I returned home, I visited their website and I downloaded the application forms. Still not certain whether to forge ahead, I put the papers aside.

It is so wonderful that God is merciful and He knows what’s best for us. I distinctly remember awakening one Sunday morning with the very clear thought: “Today is the day to fill out that application from Dogs for Disabilities” It was really such a strong urging, it could not be ignored. How very grateful I am that by God’s grace, I obeyed His prompting. Not so very long afterwards, Tanner came into my life. I am reminded of what someone very dear to me once said: “You and Tanner were meant to be.”

God in His kindness has a way of unfolding His plan and fulfilling His destiny for us. One example for me was to fill out the forms from just the right agency, at just the right time because just the right puppy was ready for me.

Whether our natural inclination is to be hesitant and put things off or be chomping at the bit because things do not seem to be happening quickly enough, we need to “listen” for His voice and follow His leading -Trusting that indeed His way is perfect.

Comments

Anonymous said…
God's timing is perfect. It's so important to seek Him and heed His instructions and counsel. It's just as disastrous for us to get ahead of Him, as it is to lag behind Him. Trust and obey Him, is the only way. His way is right and ours are faulty. I think it's so wonderful when God teaches us through life experiences. Thank you, MaryBeth, for sharing your Tanner story. KK

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador