Watching for Growth

I find it amazing to see things grow. I am in awe of the wonder that tiny seeds can become beautiful flowers, vines can bear fruit, and mere saplings can flourish into sturdy trees.

I have a dear friend who is gifted with many talents including gardening. She has been kind to spruce up my yard by planting flowers and even a couple of trees which will eventualy blossom and add beauty and shade to my outdoor space. This generous friend also provided a plant which we  hope will yield many delicious homegrown tomatoes.

It has been my delight this summer to enjoy the lovely flowers and greenery. In addition to the splendor of the landscape designed by my generous and gifted friend, I have been in awe watching God's creation grow. I was so excited to see the first tomato take shape and then begin to ripen. When the first bud appeared on the tree I was thrilled, and utterly amazed when it quickly blossomed into a beautiful flower.
My first homegrown tomato!
The first bloom on my tree
As I was watching and waiting to see signs of growth, I pondered how horticulture can teach me things about spiritual development. First of all we must acknowledge the Creator as the source of life. In order for nature to be sustained and ultimately flourish, it needs to be cultivated and nurtured. Since the plants did not instantly display fruit and flowers, I was also reminded that it takes time to grow and reach maturity.

We are instructed in God's word to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2Peter 3:18.

Just as plants need to be purged and pruned from weeds and lifeless segments, we need to purify ourselves in order to prosper in our relationship with God.

James 4:8

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

 Water and sunshine are required for plants to grow. The Word of God is essential for Christians to grow and mature in faith.

1 Peter 2:2

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,

As I eagerly anticipated the growth of my tomato plant and blooming tree I had to patiently wait to actually see what would develop. I am reminded that I need patience to realize the potential and destiny God has designed for me.

I long for the Word of God to "speak" and facilitate growth.
Here is a link to a stirring song Word of God Speak  by MercyMe about the value of God's Word and the yearning to hear from Him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JK_6osCH74&NR=1 

As we consider the importance of growth, it is good to remember the true measure that matters is not physical stature but strength of heart.
Measure of a Man is a song by 4Him that conveys the message of what is our true worth and the growth that is meaningful. Here is a link to listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SQwpJr9Lvjg

Comments

Pat T. said…
I like how you put songs to refer to.
There is always a "wonder" in God's stuff isn't there? I liked this blog.
Anonymous said…
Publishing material ;-)
God bless you sister,
Claudia

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador