Ambassador

An opportunity has arisen for Tanner and me to speak to children in public school classes about the benefits of service dogs to enhance the lives of individuals with disabilities. (For those of you who may not know, Tanner is the handsome canine in the blog photo.) As I am planning the presentation, I expect I will probably talk about Tanner’s training, show some photos and perhaps a video of him doing his “work”, and of course discuss appropriate etiquette for interacting with service dogs and their partners. (I must confess that “Do Not Pet” rule is a tough one for me and my very sociable canine companion).

I want to be well prepared with useful information presented in a manner that will engage the audience and be memorable.

In addition to providing accurate information, I want to convey how valuable service dogs are to the humans with whom they are matched. It is my desire that Tanner and I will be good ambassadors for Dogs for Disabilities. http://www.dogsfordisabilities.com/  I hope we will be on our best behavior. In order for us to represent the agency adequately and be good examples for service dogs, I need to direct Tanner well and he needs to obey the commands. It is my concern that if we do not perform well, the audience will not get a clear picture of the positive impact of service dogs.

While considering my earnest desire for Tanner to be a good representative for dogs who assist people with disabilities, I thought about how much more important it is that we are a credible representative for God. Admittedly, I am a bit apprehensive that a case of stage fright might distract Tanner from doing his tasks such as fetch in front of the class. I realize though that it is of greater significance to not allow anxiety or the fear of the opinions of others to cause me to compromise integrity in behavior. It is vital as well to not permit a poor attitude which could also bring reproach to the character of our holy God.

2 Corinthians 5:20 (New American Standard Bible)

20Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.




Comments

Anonymous said…
What a great opportunity and an excellent message! As Tanner represents service dogs to the children you speak to in the public schools, may we, as Christian believers, be good ambassadors for Christ. I wish you the best with this exciting and important endeavor - KK.
Nancy said…
Excellent! Whem will you and Tanner be doing this. I am goimg to be praying for you both. That you will be totally obedient to what you hear God telling You in Re: to presentation, and that Tanner will be obedient to your commands. Know that you are covered in prayer. Nancy R.
jean Harris said…
let us know how the day goes... ok MB and Tanner... I would love to pet Tanner..can he ever be petted or just by the owner? your old friend Jeano....Jean Harris do you have Barnabus?
MaryBeth said…
Service Dog etiquette requires that while he is working he can only be petted with permission (which I often allow) and believe me Tanner loves to "visit". When he's "free" and off duty he definitely loves to play.
Thanks for asking.
MaryBeth said…
I was reviewing some previous blog activity and just noticed that I never answered your question Jean regarding whether I still have Barnabas. No, sadly my old beloved cat is no longer with mw. (He was the subject of an old post entitled Only Human) I do have another cat named Bridget. She will likely be the subject of a post in the near future and I will try and include a photo.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star