Seasons – Swift and Sure



The seasons of my life are passing so swiftly. I am keenly aware of this lately. It’s been more than 4 months since my last blog post. The one before that was in the heart of winter following a major blizzard. Now here we are in the heat of summer.

Reviewing my blog and seeing that photo of my house covered with snow caused me to reflect upon on how quickly time passes. I ponder how, just as natural seasons usher in changes in weather and climate, we experience seasons in our lives that foster changes in our circumstances or surroundings. There are even those precious seasons of life designed to promote changes within our very being itself.

Though the calendar has indicated winter ended some time ago, I’m afraid there has been a bit of a chill in my soul that has lingered well into the spring and summer. I’ve encountered a few storms in my journey that I did not weather with as much trust and steadfastness as God’s faithfulness deserves. While I value a sunny disposition, honesty requires me to admit that my attitude has at times been clouded by doubt and discouragement. Sadly I allowed a whirlwind of self-pity to wreak havoc and damage, but thankfully our merciful God is helping me to clean up the debris and rebuild.



Many of you know that one rainy day in April I had an accident that, in an instant, dramatically changed my situation. I had foolishly forgotten to fasten my seatbelt. While in a friend’s van I was suddenly tossed out of my wheelchair which resulted in several fractures and soft tissue injury in and around my left knee. I spent a few weeks in the hospital. I returned home after my rehabilitation stint, but with significant limitations to my mobility. I continue to struggle with much less independence than I had prior to sustaining the injuries. My progress is much slower than I had hoped. I am regaining the ability to transfer and care for myself at an excruciatingly slow pace.



I’d like to interject here that God has been faithful to meet my needs. Many friends have stepped up to help - graciously and generously providing meals, assisting in caring for my dog and cat and helping in countless other ways. I was even blessed to receive an “extreme home makeover” by dear friends who used their considerable time, talent and skill to completely renovate my bathroom and improve many areas of my house. Their efforts resulted in not only making my home more attractive, but enhancing accessibility and safety as well. For such kindness I am deeply grateful. Sincere THANKS to all of my friends and loved ones.



It seems though that as my physical recovery is taking a long time, God also wants to address the need for the restoration of my soul.

My decreased self-sufficiency has forced me to come to grips in a new way with how much I was grasping at the illusion of control. A faithful friend reminded me that God has allowed difficulties and disappointments so that I could see my faulty foundations. He truly wants me to be free from seeking to find my stability in circumstances, or my security in frail human beings. I am beginning to see perhaps in a deeper way that He alone must be my Rock and the true promises in His Word, the solid ground. upon which I can stand even in the midst of shaky circumstances.



1 Peter 5:10


Amplified Bible (AMP)

10And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace [Who imparts all blessing and favor], Who has called you to His [own] eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will Himself complete and make you what you ought to be, establish and ground you securely, and strengthen, and settle you.



So as I’ve returned to blogging after a couple of seasons have come and gone, I hope to be genuinely learning lessons and applying principles that will stand the test of time and will withstand the winds of change.

I am grateful for our Savior Who is “the same yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8)



 Here’s a link to a YouTube video of a song conveying the message “The seasons they may change but I thank you Lord that You remain the same!”




I also found another song with a lovely depiction of the seasons God created

Every Season







Comments

Jessica said…
Thanks for posting MaryBeth!
Anonymous said…
Glad you are back blogging MB. I missed reading your stories of the lessons you are being taught by the Lord through your pets and the circumstances in which you find yourself. Your candour is refreshing.
Anonymous said…
through the storms we must cling to Him, I'm learning that once again myself, Marybeth.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tanner!

Tanner the Star

Ambassador